Sunday, December 26, 2010

Black Swan

"I just want to be perfect"


This has definitely got to be one of the more memorable movies of the year. As in the custom, I am one who usually steers clear of this movie genre. Thriller/horror has never sat well with me and trust me, you wouldn't want to be seated next to me while watching this kind of film. I can guarantee you, your viewing experience will be less than comforting. But Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and most of all ballet kinda sold me in the end. 


Pleasantly, this movie doesn't revolve around the art but more around the artists themselves and the level of mental strain it takes to reach a level of untainted beauty, realism and the adamant scrutiny of perfection. But it is only when perfection is not enough, one gets pushed to the edge of sanity. Obsession turns into paranoia which in turn feeds on its victims so fast, too fast one is left with only shards of who they used to be. 


A truly haunting story about a young, fragile ballerina consumed by the need to be perfect. Sigh. 

NOT a must watch. But if you're into gruesome self-mutilation and bloody mind games, go ahead.
Rating: 7/10



No comments: