Sunday, September 11, 2011

September




It has been raining for more than 24 hours straight. Non-stop. It's cold. It's gloomy and it's cuddle weather.   There's nothing more that I want than to simply crawl under the plush covers with a book other than Obstetrics by Ten Teachers. Alas, right now I can only dream of such luxury.

In a strange way, I'm glad that I'm starting fourth year with a relatively 'relaxing' cycle: Obstetrics, Ophthalmology and Radiology. They are all definitely interesting and without the pressure of having to prep for exams in 4 weeks its a great way for me to progress at my own pace. However, I've come to realise (by the hard way) that it's not as easy as people claim it to be. The hospital that we've been assigned to conducts its classes 100% in russian language. It's not as if we haven't had subjects in russian but NOT ANOTHER ONE!? Give us a break. As if learning the subject isn't taxing enough. To learn it in another language is simply...Hmm.

So this month is going to be all about pregnant ladies. Which I love! Before I started on this journey, I decided that I was suited for more 'masculine' disciplines i.e cardio/surgery. But as I began to expose myself to different fields of medicine, I have felt a strange attraction to Paeds/Obs. Which I hate. Not the subjects but the idea of liking such a 'feminine' speciality. But right now I need to go into it with an unbiased disposition and see what happens. Disclaimer: these are merely my thoughts for myself. I definitely DO NOT think less of pediatricians/obstetricians.

After a week of classes, I'm also happy to have settled into the mind-numbing, rhythmic routine. Happy? Yeah, somewhat ;) Most might think that the regimentation of daily routine is like a prison and we do our best to escape. You just have to accept the fact that routine is both a saving activity and a tyrant.

Under my circumstances, spontaneity is difficult to achieve. I can't simply grab my keys, get in the car and drive off. Besides that, we have a complete set of activities lined up from day to day before we even think of doing anything else. That's why for me, things like making the bed, rearranging my books etc can be difficult to abandon when I am programmed with a self-imposed routine. It's not OCD. Its simply habitus. That just explains why a simple trip to the shopping mall or getting dressed to leave the house can bring about a childish sense of freedom. Routines are inevitable but we must also be able to put them in their place and see them for what they are. They're useful but they are only there for assistance. Never let them rule your life. :) 


No comments: